Maysa Askar is hands down my favorite band photographer. Her photos are always on point.
I’m gonna delete this reblog later but this made me so happy and I just feel like rebloggin’ it anyway!! Thank you!
Anonymous asked: Well of course! But do you direct your model and come with the concepts?
hehe so glad you took the answer as a ‘haha’ and wasn’t offended! I direct the model and MOST of the time come up with the concept. But the recent shoot with my friend, Kristen, was completely out of the blue. We ate breakfast together and it was silent and I was just like “sooooo….we could take photos right now if you wanna” and voila. when I was in school, I took a couple of portraiture classes and there I learned a lot about positioning the person and which face tilts/body positions/camera angles that are the most flattering on the person and all that jazz. those classes definitely helped a ton.
Anonymous asked: How do you do your portraits?
Pick up ze camera, aim and shoot
Maysa’s work is always so lovely!
i’m still so happy with how these came out and i still have so many to go through
and i luv nicole busch
Anonymous asked: so what's it like having dj khaled as a cousin???
"hey mesa" - some goon
"what" - me
"WE DA BESSTTTTT!!G!GWHS" - idiot
"no" - me
that’s really it
Anonymous asked: What's your favorite slushy flavor from sonic?
Cherry mixed with powerade OR raspberry mixed with blue coconut. must try them both!
Anonymous asked: did you know one time i looked up your tumblr and i only got to mama and then i accidentally hit return in the top bar thinking it would take me to your tumblr page and instead it took me to that scary movie called mama
i’m so sorry
nickpimpshaw asked: post 10 facts about yourself BETCH
1. My hair has been every color of the rainbow except for orange (unless we include my hair turning orange when I bleached it once).
2. I’m allergic to dust. So the most logical thing to do when I was younger was to visit Palestine, one of the dustiest deserted areas in the world, and spend 9/10 days choking and throwing up.
3. I have friends pretty much all around the globe, real life and photog friends. When I become a billionaire, I plan to gather us all at a waffle house to celebrate friendship.
4. I’ve been doing photography since I was 15. I lied to my dad about lunch being $20 a day and saved it all up for a camera.
5. I’ve been in really odd situations at almost every concert I’ve been too. At one concert I told the singer he played insanely great and he ended up not performing until after I said that. Another time I fake handicapped to be front row for My Chemical Romance (I’m rly sorry about that).
6. My cousin is DJ Khaled. #whataboutit
7. I almost always keep a disposable or polaroid camera with me everywhere I go. Or any type of camera that is. (ya never know who you might run into, SAY, MAYBE TYLER, THE CREATOR).
8. If I wasn’t a freelance photographer, I’d either own a cafe called Mama’s Bakery or become a sign language translator/cosmetologist.
9. I’ve seen every single Degrassi episode since the first season of The Next Generation up until now.
10. I’m now a travel junkie. Ever since I graduated in March 2013, I’ve either been out of state or driven hours away from home every month to sleep on friend’s couches and explore. I’m planning to keep this up for a few more months and finally kick it and settle down with a srs job (or maybe hopefully become a touring photog. that’s still srs, right).
Anonymous asked: Wow that's really cool!! I wish I was as good as you, your photos are beyond amazing!
thank you! you can do the same! I’m still in the process of learning way more about music and portrait photography. go out and make some cool art
Anonymous asked: When you said you sent them out to publications, do you mean like magazines and stuff...or??
Didn’t send them out to magazines at the time, just sent them out to online music websites and contacted my town’s newspaper. I just wanted to hop on any publication that would let me shoot bigger shows!
Win an 8 x 12 Print giveaway of Jason Butler of letlive.
- reblog this post (ONCE)
Anonymous asked: How did you become a band photographer!?
I went to lots of local shows when I was about 16/17 with my canon rebel xt (this was around the time versa was just about to blow up), made a portfolio of my shots, sent them out to publications, a few years have passed and now I’m here!
Please pick up the new issue of @altpress and check out my photo that made it into the Sleeping With Sirens article! My pal Tom Falcone has some awesome mayday parade shots in it as well.